Feat. Capture Wonders: Paper Goods for Happy Homes

/



I stumbled across Capture Wonders once I began looking for design inspiration for our playroom.  It was around the same time that Blake fell in love with toys.  He's always liked toys, but around 9 months old, he became this busy boy, engrossed in any and all toys that he came in contact with.  Gone were days of just sitting in one spot, happily content with a rattle.  He was on the move, and there was no stopping him! 

I wanted to portray this moment in his life through the artwork we selected for his playroom.  This print spoke to me right away, like it was almost designed with Blake in mind!

I was so impressed with all of the pieces I saw, that it was a no-brainer to feature the beauty and the brains behind Capture Wonders on my blog! Her name is Sabrina, and she is a California native, who also happens to be pregnant with a baby girl!  I had a chance to ask her a few questions on how she got started in the business, where she finds inspiration and more!   



Tell us how you got started in the business?  Was Etsy your first foray into selling your designs, or did you start on a smaller scale? 

Capture Wonders started out as a photography business while I was still attending the Art Institute in San Diego where I studied Graphic Design. I wasn't really into selling my artwork or offering services until friends and family started asking me to design their logos, business cards, etc. I started designing greeting cards right after I graduated since I needed something to do and y'know, I needed money!


Where do you find inspiration when creating your designs?

I tend to create around inspirational quotes and I am greatly inspired by my surroundings. Whether
it's in a magazine, coffee shop, or films.
Are you able to find financial success on Etsy given the strong competition for artwork?

Oh definitely! I was able to quit my full time 9-5 job to focus completely on my Etsy Shop and hey, I'm still living! It's true, there are tons of shops who sell artwork, but if you find a niche and do it well, customers will love you and keep coming back.


What has been your biggest challenge as a small business owner?

Pricing! Now that this is my full time job, I have to keep reminding myself that I can't give everyone a deal, as much as I'd love to! It really comes down to respecting myself and having faith that customers will purchase my services and products. I used to design FREE logos for my "friends", which is ok at first, but took me way too long to realize that my time was precious as well.


Which project are you most proud of, and why?

Any custom designs that are made to be given as a gift. It means so much that others trust me to design gifts for their loved ones or for special occasions!



Which is your top selling design?

Custom Poster Designs. It's been a real hit since I first started offering it in 2013. I've designed hundreds of unique art prints, posters, and flyers for my customers and they're my favorite to design too! There's always something different, and it really keeps the creative juices flowing.



Has anyone come to you with a custom request that was completely out of the ordinary? 

Oh, you have no idea lol, I can think of a couple that were...unique. From someone who wanted their brother in-laws-head floating in a sea of bagels, illustrating a family of zebras wearing Canadian Hockey Jerseys, to an illustration of a stoned Gilligan from Gilligan's Island.



Do you have plans to expand your business in the future? If so, what's on the horizon?

I plan to offer customizable invitations and really focus on having personalized products in addition to the custom poster designs. Hopefully, I can make that transition soon!


Describe your style in 6 words or less.

Happy, Vibrant, Whimsy, and Wondrous




Find Sabrina on social media to see what she's up to, and be sure to stop by her Etsy shop to check out all of her designs!

Blog: capturewonders.com
Instagram: @capturewonders
Facebook: Facebook.com/capturewonders
Pinterest: Pinterest.com/capturewonders
Etsy: Capturewonderss.etsy.com


I hope you enjoyed my first featured designer for Spotlight! I look forward to bringing you more of my favorite designers, artists, and typographers in the future!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow @ Instagram

Back to Top