I like big bumps

/

When I was pregnant with Blake, I never really experienced people negatively commenting on how I was carrying.  It could have been because I didn't really start to show until 11 weeks or so, and even then, I could have passed as just being bloated or having too big of a meal that day.

Don't get me wrong, I ended up being massive in my late 2nd/3rd trimesters. However, in the early stages I never felt that I looked any different than what was expected.

This time around has been the polar opposite.  At 7 weeks, my favorite Lululemon gym pants were beginning to get uncomfortable around my belly.  I dealt with the discomfort because I mentally wasn't ready to transition to maternity clothes that early.  At 8 weeks, I was so obviously showing that there was no hiding it.  And that's when peoples comments began, and it hasn't really stopped since then.

Here are just a few of the comments that are burned in my brain...

From a very old lady at my gym
She was looking at Blake in his stroller and asked me if he was my only child.  I said, "well, I am actually pregnant with our second". At this point, she looked at my belly, and asked how far along I was.  I believe I was around 10 weeks or so at that point.  Her reaction, "You are big for only 10 weeks".  Thank you grandma.  I will sleep better knowing how you feel.

From the ladies at the nail salon
Every single time I go in there, they point at my belly and ask in broken English, how far along I am.  Every single time their response is, "You big".  Thank you anonymous ladies.  Don't be upset when I give you less of a tip.

From a close family friend
I was only 8.5 weeks along when she asked if we were planning to have more kids.  While I wasn't announcing our news to the world, I also couldn't flat out lie.  So I responded, "yes, well, actually were currently expecting another."  The lady then grabbed my belly with both hands and said, "Oh is that what this is?" If that wasn't horrifying enough, she then proceeded to ask "What are you, like 4 months?" No I was not even 9 weeks and on the verge of bursting into tears.

Moral of the story, every woman carries different.  Commonly, second time mamas show earlier and carry bigger.  But there are also mamas out there who are self conscious about not showing enough.  We secretly google "10 week pregnant bump" to see if we are pacing along with "the norm".  What we all need to remind ourselves is that every bump is beautiful, no matter how big or small

Regardless of how big or small a woman is carrying, the best thing to say (if you feel you must comment), is to say how beautiful or happy the woman looks.  Do not comment on her size or try to guess how far along she is.  Your innocent comment will not be taken the way you intended, I promise.

I held off on even uploading my belly shots to my family iCloud for ages because I was just so big so early.  Over time, I have come around to realize this is my belly its beautiful the way it is.  I am growing a human and need to let nature do its thing. 
7 weeks

8.5 weeks

10 weeks

13 weeks

14 weeks
16 weeks

5 comments:

  1. People always seem to think a pregnant woman's belly is public property. Thanks for the reminder to be sensitive! I was always looking huge but I sort of took pride in it for some reason. The main thing that offended me was that I have 4 daughters and 1 son (the fourth in the family) and I got so many sexist comments. One woman actually said, "If you have a boy, this time, will you stop?" (The correct answer, I was told, would be "stop what?"). Now I can laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my. That is so nuts. People don't realize the crazy things they say. Thank you for the kind words, that means a lot!

      Delete
  2. PS You are radiant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look fabulous and glowing! That is all that matters!

    ReplyDelete

Follow @ Instagram

Back to Top