First Moms Craft Night

/

The Backstory
All of the stars aligned one afternoon when I met a fellow Pleasantville mom, also named Jenifer.  We hit it off instantly - bonding over our love of all things DIY and throwing get-togethers.  We were both new to the area, and spent a few months hosting play dates and moms nights out to get to know each other (and other local moms) better. 

One day Jen approached me with an idea to co-host a Moms Craft Night where I come up with a featured craft while Jen organizes the party.  It would allow us an opportunity to meet even more area moms while doing something fun and creative for the evening.  From the moment I heard her idea, I was sold.  We started tossing out dates and craft ideas that same week.

We posted about this new idea on our local Facebook group, and within a few days, we were at full capacity.  We spent 2 weeks ordering supplies, doing a test run of the craft, and creating excel spreadsheets to track our expenses (gosh I missed working in excel!!). 

The evening turned out better than expected in my opinion.  It was large enough to have various personalities mesh, but intimate enough to get to know everyone.

The Craft
As a DIY junkie, I stalk Hometalk on a regular basis.  Most of the projects come with detailed tutorials on how to replicate at home.  I came across this idea for watermelon painted coasters using wood slices.  If you have been following my blog, you may remember I went through quite a wood slice phase so this was totally up my alley.  It also ties in perfectly with summertime, and we knew we could build a party around a watermelon theme. 

Click here to see the full tutorial from the blogger herself.


The Evening
Guests were greeted by an adorable chalk sign welcoming you to the party.  Candles were lit and light music played throughout the house. The table screamed watermelon with the cutest themed tablecloth and perfectly laid out paint settings. Mini jelly bean mason jars adorned with each moms name were placed at the top of her paint setting, functioning as a favor and an assigned seat.

Moms sipped on the most amazing watermelon cocktails, white wine, and cucumber mint spa water.  Chocolate truffles and mini cupcakes were also on display, along with flat bread pizza and dips.

The night started at 8p with a light meet & greet and then we spent the next 2.5 hours crafting and chatting.  Being on my feet for that long was a bit tough, so I wasn't probably as much help as I could have been.  I hope if nothing else, that all the local moms got to enjoy an evening out meeting other moms.  Pleastantville (and Mt. Pleasant) is such a small community, it is so nice to mingle and bond with fellow moms in the area.

Future Plans
We modeled the evening a bit after the popular Paint Night, and we hope to continue this with even more moms down the road.  When Jen is not party planning or taking care of her 2 kiddos, she finds time to pursue a hobby of hers.  Check out Jen's site to see some of the amazing hand-painted letters she sells for Bedrooms and Playrooms!!







3 comments:

  1. I know I'm very "late to the party" (pun intended) but I also have belonged to a monthly ladies' craft night in the past. I thought you might be interested in our name... we called our night out "stitch and bitch". Most of us rarely got a night away from our kids and husbands, plus several of us worked in the same office. It was not only an opportunity to try out some new craft projects but also to commiserate with other non-judgmental peers. I have since retired and moved away from my crafting friends, but I do bless them for helping me maintain my sanity in a very stressful time in my life!!

    ReplyDelete

Follow @ Instagram

Back to Top