Room Revamp: Playroom

/


Its hard enough to revamp one room, but even more challenging when that one room needs to serve three unique purposes.  We needed the finished basement in our house to be a playroom, a place where Brooke could practice piano, and a place where I could unwind.  Luckily, we had good bones to start with, and a great contractor!

The first thing we did was paint the whole room a crème color.  We decided on crème to keep the space warm and bright.  It is the basement after all (albeit a walk-out basement), so we had to be careful not to pick a color that had any dark undertones.  I tested 3 different paints on various walls of the room and at different times of the day/night to be sure the crème we selected was the right one.  We painted all of the walls, including a full size chalkboard wall. I didn't like how it took over the entire room, especially since Blake wouldn't be able to use it for a few more years.

The next thing we did was tear down the built-in wall unit.  The built-in must have been a decade old as the space was not wide enough to fit a flat screen TV.  Since we were going to rebuild it, I decided to remove the doors to the top portion of the built-in, and use the space to display pictures, plants, and candles.  My main priority for this space was to feel very open and airy.

Lastly, it was time to furnish, decorate, and hang some DIY projects.  The majority of the design centered around wanting a denim colored sofa.  I found the perfect sofa fabric that was both rugged yet casual, perfect for a kids playroom.  I choose red as the main accent color, and green as a secondary color to tie in some of the outdoors that surround the room.  I found the perfect bookcase from Restoration Hardware that had this really unique industrial feel to it.  I also scored a denim ikat wood piano chair from Ethan Allen for half off since it was a stock piece that they weren't using.

The DIY projects I did include the crayon art, the PLAY letters, and the window garland.  We also had our contractor build a frame to house my alphabet wall, which is definitely my favorite part of the room. The only artwork purchased came from Capture Wonders.

The best part of this room is that it's safe for Blake, and I can even sneak in some Netflix while he is playing! 

BEFORE

AFTER
Repurposed Blake's rug from his old nursery
Throw from Pottery Barn, Pillows custom made by my mother-in-law!

Plants from Terrain, my new favorite store

Wouldn't be complete without the Wiggles represented

The most fun room in the house
Personalized Toy bins from Pottery Barn

FUN blocks from Michaels

Both of these are DIY projects

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow @ Instagram

Back to Top