Burb Life, A Year Later

/



This time last year, we were putting an offer on our first home.  I sometimes can't believe that its been a year, so I thought I would document how life has been out in the boonies (LOL ok its only 50min to Grand Central).

I knew life would be different out in the suburbs.  I would need to improve my driving skills, get used to shopping in strip malls, start a new routine, and make new friends.

The first few months out in the burbs were tough.  We didn't have a routine which I desperately craved.  I would wake up each morning and not know what to do.  I often ended up at Target or HomeGoods as an excuse just to get out of the house.  I was also in the process of decorating our new home, so those stores seemed like logical places to spend my days.

Believe it or not though, Target does get boring after awhile.  And so I began the hunt for a gym with daycare services and mommy and me classes.

My first stop was the only gym within 5 miles of my house.  They have an nursery there and will watch Blake for 2 hours.  They even have a spa which I have taken advantage of once.  I began taking Blake to the gym 4 times a week allowing myself a few hours of alone time and a place to burn off some energy.  Blake absolutely loved it there from the start, often running thru the doors without even turning back to say bye.  The daycare services have been amazing at helping him socialize with other kids and to get comfortable with the idea of being away from me for a few hours.

I didn't expect the gym to be anything more than what it was.  But within the first few weeks, I met a girlfriend at one of the group exercise classes.  We immediately hit it off and exchanged numbers.  I remember coming home and being so excited to tell Brooke that I got a girls digits! We both got a kick out of that because she said the same thing to her husband. 

I also joined a few different Facebook groups that helped connect me to the local community.  Thru the groups, I have organized a couple of different ladies-only dinner dates, playdates at my house, and even met some of my closest mommy friends through it.  One of the moms and I have recently started a new venture hosting craft nights for moms in the area.  It's brand new, but we are excited to see how our first event unfolds later this month.

Once I got my gym situation settled, Blake and I began taking trial Mommy and me classes all around town.  I was looking for something very specific -- structure, animated coaches, high energy, and lots of other kids.  After probably 5 different places, we found MyGym.  It's a bit of a drive from my house but it is very much worth it.  The gym floor changes weekly, allowing kids to explore their surroundings and test their skills while building their confidence. The classes are built around various skill stations, and each class begins and ends with circle time.  They even have "Separation Time" where the kids play in the circle while the parents sit on the sidelines. I use this time more wisely to grab coffee or use the bathroom.  Blake absolutely loves going to MyGym, and the best part is that it tires him out so much that he sleeps for at least 2 hours after class.

Outside of the summer, we found a great music class that we go to once a week, and weekend swim lessons that my husband gets to take our son to.  He has been going since he was 7 months old, and desperately wants independence in the water, only he cant swim on his own just yet!

I also reserved one day a week to explore our neighborhood -- parks, museums, random playhouses, etc.  This ends up being just as fun for me as I get to learn about the various towns all around us.

Overall, suburban living has been pretty great.  I do miss aspects of Manhattan, especially my old neighborhood Battery Park.  I miss the ease of seeing my old friends and walking to wherever I wanted to go.  But, as we get older, our priorities change and now its all about giving our son the best childhood possible.  I look forward to getting even more involved in our local community in the years ahead, and continuing to build a new foundation out here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow @ Instagram

Back to Top