The "Good" Carbs

/


Ever hear someone say, "good carbs" and wonder what the hell are they talking about, or is there really such a thing? The answer is yes! They aren't as delicious as "bad carbs" but these little suckers are the key to my operation lose baby weight journey.

If you read my last entry, you know that I am following The Carb Lovers Diet plan.  I have done this plan twice before, and seen results.  Typically you see the most dramatic loss the first week as your body is shocked by all the healthy foods you are feeding it (and from only eating 1,200 cal/day for 7 days).  Weight loss then begins to adjust as this new eating plan becomes your baseline.

I bet you are thinking, "what crap does she have to eat on this plan" right? You would be extremely shocked to find that most of the foods and recipes on this plan are delicious.  I would say I am somewhat of a picky eater, and yet I have never struggled to find meals I like on this plan.

Keep in mind, I am not a coach, I am not making any money by writing about this (although I kind of wish I were), and I do not plan on commenting random crap on your insta page to get you to follow me. I am here to share my journey with you, and perhaps help someone in a similar boat as me.

Since The Carb Lovers plan comes with a ton of recipes, I thought I would share with you some of my favorite ones.  Many of these are not only husband approved, but also toddler approved! Below are my top recipes for each meal or snack.

Breakfast

My typical breakfast is a Banana smoothie with unsweetened almond milk.  I then add various items to it depending on my mood.  Some days, I put in peanut butter powder, other days cocoa powder, or frozen berries.  The key is bananas which are high in resistant starch, helping to keep you full for longer. I rely on morning smoothies because I can make it in my Nutribullet and bring it with me on the go.

Other favorites are the Broccoli Feta Omelets and Blueberry Oat Pancakes.  My toddler devoured the pancakes and almost hijacked mine from my plate.

Broccoli Feta Omelet with Wasa crisps

Blueberry Oat Pancakes with Maple Yogurt

Lunch

For me lunch is a tough one.  As a mom, my priority is getting Blake fed, nursing Emily, and getting both kids down for a nap.  So by the time its my turn to eat lunch, I don't want to spend any time preparing meals. As a result, I rely a lot on the frozen meal options.  They are quick and delicious.  My favorite so far is Amy's Enchiladas and Amy's bean, rice, and cheese burrito.

When I have more time, I make the Big Chopped Salad on the plan which includes lettuce, cabbage, chickpeas, carrots, walnuts, cranberries, Parmesan cheese, and balsamic vinegar.  The salads are good, but I don't find them as satisfying as the frozen meals.

Dinner

My goal as a mom is to find dishes that everyone will eat, including my picky toddler.  So far I have to say that many of the meals have been well received.

So far my husband's favorite is the Baked Cheese Penne. My favorite is the Thai Peanut Noodles.

Baked 2-cheese Penne with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

Thai Peanut Noodles

Barley Risotto Primavera

Grilling the burgers all on my own!

Herbed Turkey-Feta Burger with Sweet Potato Fries

Snacks

Eating between meals is absolutely critical.  I find that when I don't have a snack, I am starving by time I get around to eating again.  Most snacks are around 150-200 calories and are quite filling.

I try to keep my snacks consistent everyday so it takes the mindfulness out of the equation.  My 2 favorite snacks are Rye Wasa with Avocado, dried cherries, and drizzle of honey.  The other is an apple with almond butter, Babybel cheese and rye crisps.  I also try to keep a Kashi granola bar in my diaper bag in case I am stuck somewhere and need a quick bite.

Apples with Almond Butter, Babybel, Rye Crisps
Rye Wasa with 1/4 Avocado, Dried Cherries, Drizzle of honey

Dessert

I bet you didn't think you could have dessert on this plan huh! You guessed wrong! In Phase 2 you are allowed to have dessert.  My favorite so far is the Dark Chocolate Oat Clusters. The key to this is moderation.  If you have control issues like me, I recommend making small batches of whichever dessert so that you are not tempted to over-indulge.

Warm Pear with Cinnamon Ricotta

Dark Chocolate Oat Clusters

My favorite dessert. 1 serving = 2 balls

Mango-coconut sorbet
I hope you enjoyed my visual diary of The Carb Lovers Diet! Please reach out to me if you would like to join me on this journey.  I am happy to help in any way I can!

I probably wont update you all with weekly weight loss since it wont be as dramatic as the first few weeks.  However, I will happily share with you that my goal is to be back to my pre-baby weight by the end of June.  As of today, I have 6lbs to go!  If I happen to lose more than 6lbs, I would be over the freakin' moon...but lets tackle one goal at a time!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your progress! Seems like a more interesting meal plan than Adkins :)

    ReplyDelete

Follow @ Instagram

Back to Top