Finding the perfect suit for swim class

/


Most women hate bathing suit shopping.  The dressing room lighting, our vitamin D deficient pale skin, and our ability to criticize and self-shame all contribute to the anxiety we feel. 

Take that anxiety and multiply it by 1,000 when trying to find an "appropriate" bathing suit for your 1 year olds swim lesson.  The dreaded swim lesson that requires mommy to actually be in the pool. I have recently let Brooke lead swim lessons, but I plan on being in the pool with Blake all summer long, so I had to be prepared.


My 5 basic requirements include (in priority order)...

1. MUST HAVE STRAPS
I can't tell you how many times Blake has almost pulled down my strapless bathing suit in front of his entire swim class.  Albeit, after my hospital nursing experience, you'd think I would have lost all shame anyways.

2. MINIMAL CLEAVGE SHOWING
At times, I think my newfound cleavage is my best asset.  But a kids swim class is certainly not a time I want to flaunt it.

3. NO PROFESSIONAL SWIMMERS SUIT
You know the ones I am talking about...the high neck emblazoned with a swoosh on the bottom right hip with no forgiving ruching on the tummy.  I am not a swimmer, and don't want to pretend I am one. Stay away from these!

4. TUMMY RUCHING
Regardless of dropping the baby weight, chances are your abs aren't as tight as they were on your wedding night (oh how I wish they were!).  The best type of swimsuit is one that has a little ruching around the stomach area.  It's very forgiving and flattering, depending on where the ruching starts and ends.

5. DARK COLORS
Black is the best color for swimsuits.  It tends to be slenderizing and disguises some of the areas you don't want to call attention to.  The next best is a suit that has smaller prints.  Avoid swimsuits that have large prints as that will just call attention to whatever it is you are trying to hide.

After 2 very long and unsuccessful shopping trips, I finally found a few swimsuits at Bloomingdales.  I can tell you these were the most flattering ones, and I tried on several.  Keep in mind, these are great for pool days when kids are around.  I certainly recommend dialing up the sexy if you are having a romantic pool night with your man.

As a heads up, this will probably be my only post on fashion as I lost all fashion sense the moment I wore maternity clothes and became a SAHM.



I hope your swimsuit shopping is made that much easier now that I have done all the hard work for you! Good luck mamas! May the odds be in your favor.

All pictures courtesy of Macys.com and Bloomingdales.com.  The Carmen Marc Valvo comes with a neck strap so your baby can't pull it down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow @ Instagram

Back to Top