The truth, and nothing but the truth

/

Perusing my social media pages, you would think being a stay at home mom is all rainbows and butterflies.  Reality is, being a SAHM is hard work.  Yes, some days are better than others...we go to music class, we giggle together as I tickle him, I watch him get excited over seeing a ball, and I get to shower before the sun goes down.  Those are the best days. I dream about those kind of days.

Then there are days like today where all I want to do is crawl into bed, scream into my pillow, and sip a cosmopolitan.

Today started off like any normal day (they all start off pretty well I'd say). But recently, I have noticed Blake start to develop instense relationships with objects. If you take something away, he will not be ok with something else replacing it.  He wants THAT OBJECT, and only THAT OBJECT.  I had to remove him from our MyGym class to feed him a snack after witnessing meltdown #1 of the day.  After that, I let him go back to class where he ripped his (really MyGym's) prized green rattle out of another girls hands so that he could slobber all over it.  I pretended like I didn't see it just so that I wouldn't have to deal with him screaming bloody murder in front of the whole class.  Maybe that was bad move. Maybe next time I will have the energy to reprimand him. 

We also had to run one errand after naptime (just ONE!!).  You'd think, running errands must be easy, right? I thought so too...until the past month. Unless someone can create an iPhone necklace that plays The Wiggles on an endless loop perched in front of Blake's eyes at all times, errands are almost impossible.  We had to go to CVS to pick up a prescription.  Had he not been strategically placed in the shopping cart, I am confident he would have thrown all 23lbs of himself on the floor kicking and screaming while we waited.  I thought I prepared for our ONE errand pretty well.  I packed a container of puffs, the zookeeper block he's been gnawing on lately, and his elephant wubbanub.  Mom fail yet again.

As I write this, I realize how ungrateful this all might sound because yes, I have a healthy baby boy who is generally smiley and happy.  But as I look back at my social media history, I realize that to the naked eye, everything looks and seems honky dory --- all the time.  I usually only post happy things, things that might make my friends and family smile.  I tried to portray that I have everything under control! Hmm, well...that's the farthest from the truth.  As Blake hits various developmental milestones, I have to edit my mom skills. I have to adapt to him, and try to learn as I go.  As soon as I think I have it down pat, Blake throws me a curve ball just to remind me how much I still have to learn about being a mom.

My promise to myself and to my readers is to be honest. To just keep it real. The good comes with the bad.  People don't see rainbows everyday.  Some days just down right suck. And there's nothing more truthful than that!

Hope you enjoyed my first post. If so, please come back for more!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow @ Instagram

Back to Top